Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Entitlement.

Well, I was going to post this a while back, but other things came up and I just didn't get around to it.
Americans piss me off. I'm an American, so I feel I can say that, and I'm going to. If you don't like it, then you surely won't like the rest of this post so I suggest you go somewhere else. It just amazes me that "most" of the people affected, displaced, etc. by Katrina felt/feel entitled to help from the government, be it local, state or federal, and even to help from private agencies, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. Do these people NOT understand that NO ONE has to do anything to help them?? I mean, look at the people affected by the December 2004 tsunami. Do you think they EXPECTED anything from ANYONE? Probably not. And I bet some of them kissed the feet of the people who went over there to assist them when their own government did not have the means to. I know this is going to bring about the whole "our government can get aid to other countries 'this fast' ", yadda yadda yadda. Whatever. It really angers me when people think that they DESERVE something, yet when something bad happens all you hear is, "I don't deserve this." If you think you deserve something "good", then why don't you deserve something "bad"? Shit happens. Deal with it.
You want to know what REALLY angered me last week? The Katrina evacuees moaning and groaning because they were having to be re-evacuated. Um, okay, so we should leave you here to fend for yourselves. Yeah, that really worked out for you last time didn't it? And you know if they hadn't been "forced" to re-evacuate and Rita had come to Houston all HELL would have broken loose. All we would be hearing right now is "the government FAILED us again, why me, why me?". Give me a damn break. I have so had enough. So help me if another hurricane hits the Gulf Coast I am moving to NEBRASKA.
I received an article from my aunt and will post the link towards the end of this...I was going to post it on Galley but things are pretty touchy right now in the wake of two incredibly catastrophic storms, and I am so NOT going to be the one to stir it up! http://jewishworldreview.com/0905/graham092805.php3
This really isn't everything I wanted to say, but I am going to see my sister and my nieces who have been "displaced" by Rita and her careless decision to drop a tree on top of, or rather into, their house, and who are having to deal with this while my BIL is in New Orleans helping with that reconstruction. Oh, and you know something else? Does my sister expect a debit card from FEMA or the Red Cross, or a room on a cruise ship, or a free apartment? NO! She is doing what needs to be done to make sure her family stays healthy.
Take that.

No comments: